Themio is my last ancestor to arrive in Australia on my mother’s side. He arrived in 1853 on the Statesman to Melbourne and then moved, with his parents to Grenfell. Another researcher in the family, headed out to Grenfell to meet some other ancestors and was given a photo of someone holding a photo of Themio. I have added the photo here. The tantalising story in the family is that they were related to King Constantine of Greece‘s family. Anyway should this prove to be true it will make searching for them in Greece much easier. The family say that the sash and medal are a bravery award from fighting in some war between Greece and what would have been the Ottoman empire. However, it says that he signed his name with a mark on his marriage certificate, which implies he was illiterate. So there are some gaps that need to be closed in the information available.
- Born: 1833, Pátrai, , Achaías, Greece 3
- Marriage: Louisa Maria Adams on 7 Dec 1863 in Lambing Flat, New South Wales 1 2
- Died: 6 Jun 1886, Eualdrie, Forbes County, New South Wales at age 53 4
- Buried: 7 Jun 1886, Grenfell, Monteagle County, New South Wales 5
Cause of his death was Consumption.6
Other names for Themio were Thomas Nicolas Constantine and Themistoklis Loutopolous.
Themio came to Australia in 1853 and changed his name to Laundess and was granted Australian citizenship in 1875. Perhaps he came because of the gold finds. We do not really know.
In Greek, Themis is short for Themistoklis. (This computer program does not allow me to enter it in Greek.)
Loukopoulos is a proper Greek Name. Loutopolous does not seem to be.
Noted events in his life were:
• He has conflicting birth information of 1837 and Pátrai, , Achaías, Greece. 7 From Marriage certificate, where the place of birth is reorded as Patras, Norea, Greece
• Moved: 1862, New South Wales. 6
• He worked as a Miner on 7 Dec 1863 in Grenfell, Monteagle County, New South Wales.
• He signed a will on 17 Sep 1875 in New South Wales. 6
• Living in 7 Dec 1863 at Wombat, , New South Wales.
Themio married Louisa Maria Adams, daughter of George Henry Adams and Elizabeth Clarke, on 7 Dec 1863 in Lambing Flat, New South Wales.2 8 (Louisa Maria Adams was born on 1 Jun 1846 in Sutton Forest, Camden County, New South Wales,8 9 died on 20 Jun 1907 in Sydney, Cumberland County, New South Wales, Australia 5 and was buried on 21 Jun 1907 in Waverley Cemetery, Cumberland County, New South Wales, Australia 5 6 10.) The cause of her death was carcinoma of rectum.6
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Registration: Marriage, 7 Dec 1863, Young, Monteagle County, New South Wales. 7 Witness – James Lowrey, Helen Frost
Minister – Alfred Frederick Newman
The groom signed with his mark.
Registrars Office, Young