It seems that they have only just worked this out. Certainly lots of people are talking about it.
In my mind, the opposite of smart is stupid.
Now, I know that most of these people don’t think this. But they must be bit slow to think that I think of it in the same way as they do. Here is a definition from Wikitionary. Strangely their version of smart does not seem to form part of the English language.
Definitions from Wiktionary, a free dictionary
- exhibiting social ability or cleverness
- exhibiting intellectual knowledge, such as that found in books
- good-looking, as a smart outfit
- cleverly humorous, in a way that is rude and disrespectful however; wise guy.
- He became tired of his daughter’s sarcasm and smart remarks.
- (exhibiting social ability): backward, boorish, dull, inept
- (exhibiting intellectual knowledge): ignorant, uncultivated, simple
- (good-looking): garish, outré, tacky